I have been constantly broke for the past few months, and for that reason I really slept on getting a copy of this zine. I’m now pretty bummed that I did that.
Reckless Chants No. 19: History Lesson, Part 2, by Rust Belt Jessie
Reckless Chants is the latest zine series from long-time zinester Jessie Lynn McMains (Rust Belt Jessie). I’ve been following Jessie on tumblr for awhile now, but this is the first of her zines that I have actually gotten my hands on, and I think it was definitely a good one to start with. Jessie prefaces RC19 with some of her thoughts about punk rock and zine-making (some of which you can read here), and then dives headfirst into the rest of the zine.
What I really like about this issue is the various styles Jessie uses to tell her stories. I really felt like I was reading a fanzine, perzine, show review, and travel narrative all tied together by some jangly power chords.
At long last, Cometbus has some competition in the punk writing realm. RC19 stacks up with Cometbus in poignancy and relevance, and is still assembled by hand. So into it, and you should be too. Really looking forward to reading more of Jessie’s writing.
- zinesforever reblogged this from dakotafloyd
- boatshow likes this
- shwardo likes this
- othermike likes this
- eatingaboutwriting likes this
- concept-framework likes this
- wearepioneerspress reblogged this from dakotafloyd and added:
- stinkywizzleteats likes this
- emchy likes this
- lajonque likes this
- strangeloopstrangeloop likes this
- lucybiederman likes this
- elmwoodtownhall likes this
- breatheeasyfriend likes this
- thismightwork likes this
- thesaltedlash likes this
- rustbeltjessie reblogged this from dakotafloyd and added:
- rustbeltjessie likes this
- dakotafloyd posted this